What is the Best Angular Cheilitis Home Remedy?
Angular cheilitis, a chronic inflammatory condition of the skin caused by fungus, bacteria or virus, triggers the formation of cracks on the mouth’s angles. Sometimes, it occurs only on one side but more often, bilaterally. Tell-tale signs include redness and inflammation, deep cracks, bleeding, and shallow ulcers on the corners of the mouth.
It’s rooted from various causes. On top of the list, we have nutritional deficiencies, especially iron and vitamin B12; weakened immune resistance; bacterial, fungal or viral infections, dry and cold weather that lead to chapped skin on the lips; poor-fitting dentures; and accumulation of saliva on the mouth corners.
This skin condition is usually painful, itchy, unsightly and annoying. People who suffer from this problem are always in the search for effective but safe home remedies, which is why experts are often asked this question: What is the best angular cheilitis home remedy?
There’s no single answer to this question, as it actually depends on what works best for you. What’s effective for some people are not for others. Your best bet is to try different methods to find out which one will give you quick and long-term solution.
Here are some of those that you’d want to try:
- Aloe vera – Aloe vera has long been used as a home remedy for various minor ailments. For angular cheilitis, it is said to provide relief by soothing and toning down the inflammation. What you need to do is to get a little bit of gel from the inner part of the plant and apply over the affected area. This has worked for many people because aloe vera has the ability to boost the repair of skin tissue and promote regeneration of the cells.
- Cocoa butter – Cocoa butter is an efficient skin moisturizer. It doesn’t only prevent chapped lips but also helps solve the problem of angular cheilitis. Put a small amount of cocoa butter (preferably the all-natural kind) on the affected area. Leave it on for the rest of the day. You can also choose to apply it several times about two to three times daily. This will bring back the moisture to the cracks on the mouth corners and treat the inflammation.
- Neem leaves – To get rid of angular cheilitis, you also need to fight the infection. Use neem leaves for this job. Crush a small amount of fresh neem leaves to extract the juice. Apply it on the corners of the lips to help destroy the bacteria or fungi causing the infection.
- Honey – Another efficient way to combat bacteria and fungi is with honey. It’s hard to imagine how this sweet substance can fight microorganisms but you’ll be surprised as to how well it can do the task. Discover its efficacy by applying some on the affected area and leave it on for about 15 minutes twice or thrice a day. For quicker results, use in combination with fresh cucumber slices.
- Water – One factor that leads to angular cheilitis is dryness. That’s why, it’s a must to keep your body hydrated. Increase your water intake. It should be at least 10 glasses of water a day. This is a good remedy for cracked and dry lip corners. Use a straw though so that moisture won’t accumulate in those areas.